Revisions are moving along swimmingly. I’ve gone through three chapters in two days. I’m very happy with the progress and momentum I’ve picked up. If I keep this up, I’ll easily make my deadline. The dates with my vampire are paying off. Spending this time with him, I’ve discovered some interesting tidbits.
1) Patterns are real. My speed has been picking up because I know what I should be looking for. I also think this will make writing book two go so much smoother.
2) Following number one, when patterns are found, find/replace is my best friend. It helps make sure I don’t miss anything carelessly.
3) I much prefer doing markups on paper then transferring the changes to the computer manuscript. Seeing the words there in print, just as my readers will, I feel the story more and catch more items that need to be changed. From continuity to grammar, printing it out and holding it my hand makes it real.
4) Next time I will do the full formatting from the start. Half my time doing these revisions feels like it’s being spent on spacing, font, type, lines, etc. I want to let the computer handle that for me from the beginning. That way, I can concentrate on the characters and the story they’re telling me.
5) Music helps!
6) It’s fun to go back and catch the clues laced into the story I forgot I put in.
There are many more lessons to come, I’m sure. Right now, the main thing is to keep going and stay consistent. I hope he brings me roses tonight.